Applanga Sketch Plugin
A sketch plugin for translating sketch files with Applanga.
Applanga requires Sketch v54+ to run.
- To localize a Sketch file download the latest release of the plugin
- Un-zip & Double-click on applanga.sketchplugin, this should create a Applanga sub-menu under Plugins in Sketch
- Create new project in Applanga Dashboard
- Go to
App Settingsof the project
0.0.0.0/0in the List of IP's authorized for API upload
- Save changes
- Go to the API section in the Applanga Project Settings and click on “Show API Token” and copy the Token
- Make sure the source language of the Sketch file (e.g. English) does exist on the Applanga dashboard
- Open Sketch and in the Menu Bar, go to Plugins > Applanga > Configure API Token and input the Applanga API Token
- Upload strings
- All (upload strings of the whole sketch file)
- Current Page (upload strings of the current page from the sketch file)
- Upload Screenshots
- All (upload all artboards)
- Current Page (upload artboards of the current page)
- Download From Applanga
- Target Mode (download strings translated as target values)
- Draft Mode (download strings translated strings as draft values)
- Target Mode to New File (download strings translated as target values and save a new translated file)
- Draft Mode to New File (download strings translated strings as draft values and save a new translated file)
- Configure Api Token (copy the API Token from your App settings)
: if the draft value doesn't exist, the target value will be taken
Exclude from Upload
If you want to skip pages, artboards or text elements from uploading to Applanga, prefix them with three underscores (___).
How to upload Sketch content for translation?
After you installed the Applanga Sketch Plugin and set up the Applanga Sketch integration as described in the Configuration section, open the Sketch file you want to translate.
Start by uploading the translatable text content. In the Menu Bar under Plugins > Applanga choose Upload Strings. You can either upload all pages or only the currently selected one.
After you made you chose the upload option form the Plugin menu, a pop-up will appear to ask you to select a source language (the current language of the file). The upload might take a moment. There will be a pop-up to confirm when the upload is done.
The Applanga Sketch plugin can also upload the pages in the sketch file itself as a visual reference for the translation process to Applanga. For this feature, use the Upload Screenshots option from the plugin menu.
How to generate translated Sketch files?
Once translations are available for your Sketch content on Applanga, you can use the plugin to generate a translated versions of your file.
From the plugin menu, choose Download from Applanga. You will need to decide to either use the Draft version of the string or the Target version.
Important! Before download resolved any Missing Fonts in your file. Translations won’t be displayed where fonts are missing. The string will remain unchanged (e.g. English)
In the pop-up that appears after that, select the language you want to download. When saving the file, using the .sketch ending in the file name is mandatory.
Uploading Translated Screenshots
If you want to upload screenshots of your translated Sketch file back to Applanga, for example, if you want somebody to review the translation in-context, please follow these steps:
- Go to Download from Applanga, chose either Target or Draft mode and select the language you want to download from the pop-up
- After the download is finished, go to Upload Screenshots and in the pop-up select the language you want to upload translated screenshots to
Uploading Translated Screenshots for multiple languages
With this option, you can start an automated process that will, step by step, download translations for a language, take screenshots of the translated Sketch design, and upload the translated screenshots back to Applanga for all languages selected one after the other automatically.
In order to upload translated screenshots for multiple languages, in the plugin, chose the Batch Screenshot Upload option. In the subsection of the Batch option, you can select which page (all or only the currently selected) and which set of strings (Draft or Target) will be in scope for the batch process.
After you selected the appropriated option you will be presented with a pop-up to enter which languages should be included. The languages need to exist in your project on the Applanga dashboard. By default, all languages in your project will be included.