Applanga Figma Plugin
A plugin for translating Figma files with Applanga.
Table of Contents
- Installation in Figma app
- Configuration of the connected Project
Installation in Figma app
- Go to your Figma file and open Menu > Plugins > Manage Plugins.
- Click Plugins in the left menu.
- Click Browse all plugins button.
- Enter "Applanga" in the search box and then click Install button next to the Applanga Localization Plugin plugin.
Configuration of the connected Project
For a new project
- Create a new project in Applanga Dashboard.
- Follow the prompts and select the Adobe XD integration option.
- Copy the Applanga API Token by clicking on the clipboard icon. You will need it to start using the plugin.
- Click on "Go to Project" to confirm the configuration (whitelisted IPs)
For an already existing project
- Go to
Project Settingsof the project.
0.0.0.0/0or the authorised IP addresses in the List of IP's authorised for API upload.
- (Optional) Copy the Applanga API Token by clicking on "Show API key" and then the clipboard icon. You will need it to start using the plugin.
- Save changes.
- Applanga Project API Token: please copy the API Token from your Applanga project settings
- Applanga Project Name corresponds to the entered API token (not editable)
- Save Options: saves the connection settings on your local machine. The selected options are saved separately for each Figma file and will be loaded next time you open the file on your machine and start the plugin.
Uploading content for translation
- Project name: this is set to the Applanga project which the plugin is currently linked via the API token (not editable)
- Select language for Upload: the source language is preselected by default, but you can select any language for upload. This is particularly useful for uploading localized screenshots for testing
- Text and Screenshots: select what you would like to upload to the Applanga project (by default both options are selected for source language, and only Screenshots option is selected for target language upload.)
- Include Hidden Content: determines if the hidden (close/open eye icon) content is included in translation scope (by default disabled). Please note, that there may be invisible elements that will be included in scope, because they are invisible for other reasons than the “visible” property status.
- Include Locked Content: determines if the locked (padlock icon) content is included in translation scope (by default disabled)
- Upload new/missing text: with this option enabled, any text present in the file and not yet on Applanga is uploaded (by default enabled)
- Merge new duplicated text into a single Applanga string: when this option is enabled during upload, for every text that is not on Applanga yet, all duplicates found in the file for that text are 'merged' into a single new Applanga Id. If this option is disabled, one string Id is created for each of the duplicate texts (by default enabled)
- Merge Figma text with existing Applanga strings: when this option is enabled during upload, if a string with the exact same text already exists, the existing string Id is applied to the Figma file instead of generating a new one. If multiple such strings exist, one is chosen randomly (by default enabled)
- Update existing Applanga strings with changes made in Figma file: when this option is selected, the corresponding strings on Applanga will be overwritten with the content from the Figma file (by default enabled)
- Include Screenshots without Linked Text*: if selected, screenshots that couldn't be linked to any text are uploaded to the Applanga project (by default disabled)
- If you want to exclude pages from the upload, add 3 underscores in front of the element or page name (___).
- The upload for large files (particularly screenshot uploads) may take several minutes.
The Activity log will display the progress indication and error messages.
Renaming String IDs
When new IDs are being created on Applanga as part of the upload, there is the option to manually edit any new IDs. The dialog will not display if only screenshots are being uploaded or there are no new strings to upload to the Applanga.
- Click the source text, to expand it to display the full source content
- Click the suggested string ID to edit it
- Click Confirm to approve the edits. You can also unconfirm to restore the original ID value. If the Confirm button becomes red, the string ID is invalid. Most often its value conflicts (the same ID, but different source text) with an ID that already exists in Applanga or with a newly created ID. Hover over the button to see a more detailed error message.
- Only Approved or All (default) determines if all of the strings are to be uploaded to Applanga or only confirmed strings(green checkbox).
The Upload button starts the upload immediately. The button is only active if there is an upload language selected and either the Text or Screenshots option is selected. During the upload process, an activity log will inform you about the progress and any errors.
Translate your Figma file
Once translations for your content are available on Applanga, you can use the plugin to download the translations and populate them in your file.
You may prevent any part of your file from being translated by locking or hiding the elements out of scope and/or by limiting the download to specific pages (see Scope below)
- Project Name and Source Language are set to Applanga project with which the plugin is currently linked via the API token (not editable)
- Select Language: select the target language to be downloaded. Please note that the Download button will not be active until a target language is picked (none is selected by default)
- Mode determines if strings from target or draft translation values are populate (by default Target plus Draft will be populated)
- Scope determines if the whole file is processed or only the currently open page (by default all content is in scope)
- Overwrite Hidden Content determines if the hidden (close/open eye icon) content is included in scope (by default excluded)
- Overwrite Locked Content determines if the locked (padlock icon) content is included in scope (by default excluded)
- Merge Figma text with existing Applanga strings allows the linking of strings missing Applanga Ids to an existing string Id in the connected Applanga project. Please note, the text matching to the source text in Applanga project may not work or may give false positives if the file is (partially) translated.
- Please be aware that translation download for very large files may take several minutes.
- Note that any content that has 3 underscore characters (___) at the beginning of the element or page name is excluded from the scope.
- The translation download will overwrite the source text in your file. It is recommended to create a copy of the file for the translation process. You can also revert back to your starting point by selecting your source language and downloading it again.
- It may take up to 10 minutes before changes made to translations on the Applanga dashboard are available for download.
- You will need all fonts used in your Figma file installed locally. Translations won’t be populated for text where fonts are missing. There is a Font Missing warning in the upper right corner in the Figma interface that gives you more info.
The Download button starts the download immediately. The button is only active if there is a download language selected. During the download process, an activity log will inform you about the progress and any errors.
If there are fonts missing or the string Ids are not aligned, the download of translations into Figma might fail. Use the Check/Fix Files option to get a list of all the missing fonts and to align the Applanga Ids in your file with the ones of the connected Applanga project.
Uploading translated screenshots
If you want to upload screenshots of your translated Figma file back to Applanga, for example, if you want somebody to review the translation in-context, please follow these steps:
- Go to Download and select a language, run the download process.
- After the download is finished, go to Upload and select the language again but make sure that you only select Screenshots in the upload options
Uploading Translated Screenshots for multiple languages at once
This feature starts an automated process that will, step by step, download translations for a language, take screenshots of the translated Figma design, and upload the translated screenshots back to Applanga for all languages selected one after the other automatically.
In order to upload translated screenshots for multiple languages at once, in the plugin UI, choose the Batch Screenshot Upload option. In the subsection of the Batch option, you can select which languages to include (all or everything but source), which set of strings (Draft or Target), and which layers (all or only the currently selected one) will be in scope for the batch process.
Check & Align File
Check/Fix File Options
- Check Missing Fonts: this option lists all fonts used in the currently selected Figma file but not present on your system (e.g. PC/Mac). Translations can only be downloaded for text where the font is available.
- Link Figma text with existing Applanga IDs: this option tries to match the text in the file with existing Applanga IDs. It's similar to Merge Figma text with existing Applanga strings in download options, but is not limited to selections.
- Remove all linking to Applanga IDs: this option allows users to unlink Applanga string IDs from a previously uploaded figma file. When users upload a previously Applanga-integrated file to a new project, the existing Applanaga IDs can cause issues with the upload to the new project. This option prevents issues with both uploading and downloading content from Applanga.
- Migrate IDs to new plugin version: Applanga plugin update from version 8 to 9 changed how string IDs are stored; this option will migrate this string Id storage method if you have previously uploaded the same Figma project with the Version 8 plugin. This migration will also happen automatically during the upload process.