Applanga Figma Plugin
A plugin for translating Figma files with Applanga.
Table of Contents
- Installation in Figma app
- Configuration of the connected Project
Installation in Figma app
- Go to your Figma file and open Menu > Plugins > Manage Plugins.
- Click Plugins in the left menu.
- Click Browse all plugins button.
- Enter "Applanga" in the search box and then click Install button next to the Applanga Localization Plugin plugin.
Configuration of the connected Project
- Create new project in Applanga Dashboard.
- Go to
Project Settingsof the project.
0.0.0.0/0or the authorised IP addresses in the List of IP's authorised for API upload.
- (Optional) Copy the Applanga API Token. You will need it to start using the plugin.
- Save changes.
- Applanga Project API Token: please copy the API Token from your Applanga project settings
- Applanga Project Name corresponding to the entered API token (not editable)
- Save Options: saves the connection settings on your local machine. The selected options are saved separately for each Figma file and will be loaded next time you open the file on your machine and start the plugin.
Uploading content for translation
- Project name and Source Language are set to Applanga project to which the plugin is currently linked via the API token (not editable)
- Select language for Upload: by default the source language is preselected, but you can select any language for upload. This is particularly useful for uploading localized screenshots for testing
- Text and Screenshots: please select what would you like to upload in Applanga project (by default both options are selected)
- Scope: determines if the whole file is processed, or only the currently open page (by default all content is in scope)
- Include Hidden Content: determines if the hidden (close/open eye icon) content is included in translation scope (by default excluded)
- Include Locked Content: determines if the locked (padlock icon) content is included in translation scope (by default excluded)
- Include Screenshots without Linked Text: if selected, also screenshots that couldn't be not linked to any text are uploaded in Applanga project (by default not selected)
- If you want to exclude pages from the upload, add 3 underscores in front of the element or page name (___).
- The upload for big files (particularly screenshot uploads) may take several minutes.
The Upload button starts the upload immediately. The button is only active if there is an upload language selected and either the Text or Screenshots option is selected. During the upload process, an activity log will inform you about the progress and any errors.
Translate your Figma file
Once translations for your content are available on Applanga, you can use the plugin to download the translations and populate them in your file.
You may prevent any part of your file from being translated by locking or hiding the elements out of scope and/or by limiting the download to specific pages (see Scope below)
- Project Name and Source Language are set to Applanga project to which the plugin is currently linked via the API token (not editable)
- Select Language for Download: please select the target language to be downloaded. Please note that the Download button will not be active until a target language is picked (none is selected by default)
- Mode determines if strings from target or draft translation values are populate (by default Target plus Draft will be populated)
- Scope determines if the whole file is processed or only the currently open page (by default all content is in scope)
- Overwrite Hidden Content determines if the hidden (close/open eye icon) content is included in scope (by default excluded)
- Overwrite Locked Content determines if the locked (padlock icon) content is included in scope (by default excluded)
- Please note that any content that has 3 underscore characters (___) at the beginning of the element or page name is excluded from the scope.
- The translation download will overwrite the source text in your file. We recommend you create a copy of the file for the translation process. You can also revert back to your starting point by selecting your source language and download it again.
- You will need all fonts used in your Figma file installed locally. Translations won’t be populated for text where fonts are missing. There is a “Font Missing” warning in the upper right corner in the Figma interface that gives you more info.
The Download button starts the download immediately. The button is only active if there is a download language is. During the download process, an activity log will inform you about the progress and any errors.
Uploading translated screenshots
If you want to upload screenshots of your translated Figma file back to Applanga, for example, if you want somebody to review the translation in-context, please follow these steps:
- Go to Download and select a language, run the download process.
- After the download is finished, go to Upload and select the language again but make sure that you only select Screenshots in the What do you want to upload section