Applanga for Adobe XD Plugin
A plugin for translating Adobe XD files with Applanga.
Table of Contents
- Installation in Adobe XD app
- Configuration of the connected Project
Installation in Adobe XD app
The plugin requires Adobe XD v21+ to run.
- Go to your Adobe XD file and open Menu > Plugins > Browse Plugins.
- Creative Cloud application will open. In the left panel type Applanga in the Search All Plugins field and press <enter>.
- Click Browse all plugins button.
- Click Install.
Configuration of the connected Project
For a new project
- Create a new project in Applanga Dashboard.
- Follow the prompts and select the Adobe XD integration option.
- Copy the Applanga API Token by clicking on the clipboard icon. You will need it to start using the plugin.
- Click on "Go to Project" to confirm the configuration (whitelisted IPs)
For an already existing project
- Go to
Project Settingsof the project.
0.0.0.0/0or the authorised IP addresses in the List of IP's authorised for API upload.
- (Optional) Copy the Applanga API Token by clicking on "Show API key" and then the clipboard icon. You will need it to start using the plugin.
- Save changes.
- Applanga Project API Token: copy the API Token from your Applanga project settings
- Applanga Project Name: corresponds to the entered API token (not editable)
- Save Settings: saves the connection settings on your local machine. The selected options are saved separately for each Adobe XD file and will be loaded the next time you open the file on your machine and start the plugin.
Uploading content for translation
The Upload button toggles between Upload and Upload Selected depending on if you select any elements in the Adobe XD file. The button is only active if there is an upload language selected, and either the Text or Screenshots option is enabled. Additionally, in the case of selection(s) made in the file, the selected content must include translatable text.
- Project Name: this is set to the Applanga project which the plugin is currently linked via the API token (not editable)
- Select language for Upload: the source language is preselected by default, but you can select any language for upload. This is particularly useful for uploading localized screenshots for testing
- Text and Screenshots : select what you would like to upload to the Applanga project (by default both options are selected for source language, and only Screenshots options is selected for target language upload.)
- Include Hidden Content: determines if the hidden (close/open eye icon) content is included in translation scope. Please note, that there may invisible elements that will be included in scope, because they are invisible for other reasons than the “visible” property status (by default disabled)
- Include Locked Content: determines if the locked (padlock icon) content is included in translation scope (by default disabled)
- Upload new/missing text: with this option enabled, any text present in the file and not yet on Applanga is uploaded (by default enabled)
- Merge new duplicated text into a single Applanga string: when this option is enabled during upload, for every text that is not on Applanga yet, all duplicates found in the file for that text are 'merged' into a single new Applanga Id. If this option is disabled, one string IdD is created for each of the duplicate texts element (by default enabled)
- Merge Adobe XD text with existing Applanga strings: when this option is enabled during upload, if a string with the exact same text already exists, the existing string Id is applied to the Adobe XD file instead of generating a new one. If multiple such strings exist, one is chosen randomly (by default enabled)
- Update existing Applanga strings with changes made in Adobe XD file: when this option is selected, the corresponding strings on Applanga will be overwritten with the content from the Adobe XD file (by default enabled)
- Include Screenshots without Linked Text: if selected, screenshots that couldn't be linked to any text are uploaded to the Applanga project (by default disabled)
- If you want to exclude any other elements from the upload (complete artboars or single elements), add 3 underscores in front of the element name (___).
- The upload for big files particularly including screenshot upload may take several minutes.
The activity log will display the progress messages and any errors.
Renaming Strings IDs
When new IDs are being created on Applanga as part of the upload, there is the option to manually edit any newly IDs. The dialog will not display if only screenshots are being uploaded or there are no new strings to upload to the Applanga.
- Click the source text, to expand it to display the full source content
- Click the suggested string ID to edit it
- Click Confirm to approve the edits. You can also unconfirm to restore the original ID value. If the Confirm button becomes red, the string ID is invalid. Most often its value conficts (the same ID, diffrent source text) with an ID that already eixts in Applanga or with a newly created ID. Hover over the button to see a more detailed error message.
- Only Approved or All (default) determines if all of the strings are to be uploaded to Applanga or only confirmed strings (green checkbox).
The Upload button starts the upload immediately. The upload options are again visible. During the upload process, the activity log will inform you of the progress and any errors.
Translate your Adobe XD file
Once translations for your content are available on Applanga, you can use the plugin to download the translations and populate them in the Adobe XD file.
You may prevent any part of your file from being translated by locking or hiding the elements out of scope and/or by limiting the download to selected elements.
- Project Name is set to the Applanga project with which the plugin is currently linked via the API token (not editable)
- Select Language for Download: select the target language to be downloaded. Please note that the Download button will not be active until a target language is selected (none is selected by default)
- Mode determines if strings from target or draft translation values are populated (by default Target values plus Drafts will be populated)
- Overwrite Hidden Content determines if the hidden (close/open eye icon) content is included in scope (by default excluded)
- Overwrite Locked Content determines if the locked (padlock icon) content is included in scope (by default excluded)
- Merge Adobe XD text with existing Applanga strings allows the linking of strings missing Applanga Ids to an existing string Id in the connected Applanga project. Please note, the text matching to the source text in Applanga project may not work or may give false positives if the file is (partially) translated.
- Please note that the components will not be translated automatically. You need to either double-click the component to enable editing OR select the text(s) inside the component and only download the translations to it.
- Please be aware that translation download for very large files may take several minutes.
- Please note that any content that has 3 underscore characters (___) at the beginning of the element or page name is excluded from the scope.
- The translation download will overwrite the source text in your file. It is recommended to create a copy of the file for the translation process. You can also revert back to your starting point by selecting your source language and downloading it again.
- It may take up to 10 minutes before changes made to translations on the Applanga dashboard are available for download.
The Download button starts the download immediately. The button is only active if there is a download language. During the download process, an activity log will inform you about the progress and any errors.
How to upload only translated screenshots
If you want to upload screenshots of your translated Adobe XD file back to Applanga, for example, if you want somebody to review the translation in-context, follow these steps:
- Go to Download and select a language
- After the download is finished, go to Upload and select the language again, but make sure that you only select Screenshots in the upload options.
If you want to upload only selected content, make sure to select artboards. Otherwise no screenshot will be uploaded from selected content.
Check and Align file
The plugin option Check & Align File helps with two things:
- Link Adobe XD text with existing Applanga strings: this option tries to match the text in the file with existing Applanga IDs. It's similar to Merge Adobe XD text with existing Applanga strings in download options, but is not limited to selections.
- Remove All linking to Applanga IDs: this option clears the file of any information that links particular text instances with Applanga IDs. It's useful if you want to start over and upload content into a brand new Applanga project. It is a nuclear option and should be used with caution.